Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Just a couple reasons

Darcy Speaking:

I have been reading all of my life. I can't even begin to tell you how many books I have read in my short existence. I will read anything interesting from romance to science fiction. One little problem though.I have a love hate relationship with books. I love books and reading more than anything on this green earth. If I had to pick one activity to do the rest of my born days that would be it. Reading. (Although I might be a little sad because movies come in very close second) I want to give you a couple reasons as to why this relationship is love and hate.

Reason #1.

Endings. I hate endings. I don't even know how to describe the feeling I have towards endings. The first reason I hate endings; When I go to open up my book to read after I have been reading awhile I hate when I have read more than what I have finished. I love when I have more to read then what I've read. Get it?
I also hate when I am reading a book and it is so good! Like I am seriously enjoying it but then it starts getting near the end and the ending is starting to suck. Like it is horrible. I want to throw the book across the room because it is so upsetting to me that the author put so much time and effort into the beginning and middle of the book but it starts to feel rushed and crappy and they start doing things to characters that feel sloppy to me.

I am not even kidding you about this ending thing. Sometimes I don't want to be disappointed so I won't finish the book. I enjoy the beginning and middle but refuse to finish it because it will possibly ruin my life.

Reason #2.

Characters. Characters have to be developed. I will give one very good example of an underdeveloped character. Bella Swan. Yes. The author didn't even describe her at all. I am telling the truth. Don't believe me? Go read it. I swear on my life it says something to the effect of: She was plain and looked like her mom. Wow?!!!!!!!!! I hate not knowing what a character looks like, and people can preach to me all they want saying that you are supposed to imagine yourself as the main  character. I will still do that anyways but I want to read the book with the image that the author has given me. I will never get over it.

Reason #3.

Here is a love side of books. I love when the author tells me what the characters are eating. I have no idea why. I can't even remember what book it was now but the author seriously went into serious details of the meal every time the character ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. It drives me insane when the author simply says "and they ate." Wow.

Reason #4.

Amateur writing. There is nothing I hate more than amateur writing. I hate opening a book and it is so little on the details and the story line is barely there. Why even bother. I mean I don't read fancy smancy novels (well I do sometimes) but I won't read something amateur (wait I will if it has a little bit of a good idea to it.)

Reason #5.

Opening chapters. If you want your book read by me you better have something that is going to suck me in. I dislike when people are recommending books and they say "It takes awhile to get into, but it is good." Um if a book is good it shouldn't take awhile to get into. A reader should be taken in by the first page.

Reason #6.

Smiling and laughing. I love nothing more than sitting in a crowd of people at work or school and start laughing or smiling at something I am reading. If it can make me smile just by the dialogue it is a good book.

Well I could go on for fifty years on my relationship with books. Maybe I will start discussing a book a week with the world wide web.

Would that bore you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment because we love 'em!