Saturday, August 11, 2012

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. -Benjamin Franklin

Darcy Speaking:

Okay so I am going to school right now and I am a creative writing major. Yes I know it sounds super dumb and incredible weird. I can tell you right now that I know that I won't get a job in writing. And yes people tell me that college isn't worth it. But I love writing classes. I have loved English classes since forever because, well, they are easy! That and they are fun.

Oh and did I happen to mention that I am good at them?

 I don't know what it is about writing an essay or a 10-15 page paper about anything that really comes to mind but I love struggling to get the words out onto the paper. I love struggling to tie my thoughts and ideas together. But most of all, and yes you will think I am insane, I love turning the paper in then receiving criticism. I am not joking. Sometimes I won't read the comments the professors and teachers have made for a couple days because I have to build up to reading it so that I can take it. When I read those comments whether good or bad I love taking them and proving to them that I can make the paper better, that I can exceed their expectations.

I have gotten papers back with a big fat C on them and turned around and turned it into a B or sometimes an A-. It is an amazing high. Nerdy right?? Right.

So since I am a "writer" (I don't know if I am allowed to call myself that...) one question that people always ask me, "Do you want to write books?" Well if everyone must know, yes, yes I do. In fact I am in the middle      (or really the beginning of it) of writing a book. I won't tell anyone what it is about because it is top secret stuff (well not really) but I still won't divulge much information about it. I will tell you that it is a non-fiction book.

The thing about writing a book is, that it is extremely difficult. Anyone who tells you other wise is a big fat liar. I mean I sometimes get excited about writing and I think "Oh man I will have this bad boy written up in a couple hours!" Thirty minutes have passed and you realize all your ideas fit on 3 pages. What a rip.

So yes it is a work in progress and I can definitely say that there is one element in my life that has to happen before I can even finish the book so I can't even put a time on when it will be done (well I am going to give myself a goal as to when the majority of it must be finished though!)

So there they are, all the dirty details of the inner workings of a nerdy person who chooses a life path of writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment because we love 'em!